Friday, September 3, 2010

Patient Story: denied birth

I recently found an old friend of facebook and we got to chatting about our kids and she sent me her birth story for her second daughter:
"my first baby was born at an army hospital 6 years ago, and she was a natural birth. However, the army nurses were very against anyone getting out of bed and moving so I was made to stay flat on my back in bed the entire time, and then gave birth to my posterior baby while going through the worst agony of my entire life. Not such a fun experience, but at least I didn't have a c-section with her. Then in 2007, I went into labor in the middle of the night and things were going smoothly. I had an epidural this time and actually was very relaxed, and when it came time to push, I was not nearly as exhausted as with my first. I pushed for 15 minutes and the doctor told me that he could see her head, that with the next push we would have a baby. When that time came and I was pushing, he suddenly started yelling at me to stop and telling the nurses to call the OR, and I had to have an emergency c-section. I had no idea what was going on; I felt fine and the baby's heart rate was totally normal. As it turns out, she was frank breech and he would not let me deliver her, never mind the fact that her bum was partway out at this point! I was furious and scared. It was definitely horrifying, to say the least. He kept telling me that if I continued to push, my cervix could close around her neck and she would die. I now know, after having a vbac, that that was very unlikely. Anyways, she and I both recovered, at least physically. I still hold bitter feelings about the entire situation, so when she was 6 months old and I found out I was pregnant again, I began researching vbacs. As it turns out, there is a group of midwives here that will do them, and it was an absolutely wonderful, perfect birth experience. I spoke with my midwives about my c/s, and they said that had I been their patient, they would have just delivered her as long as she was not in distress. How in the world the doctors and nurses did not know she was breech is beyond me, but I know I can't change the past. I just refuse to go back to that hospital for anything!"

The above story made me SO ANGRY. I can't even tell you! That vaginal breech births are virtually impossible in a US hospital is just such a shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment